By Hairee Lee
Watermelon is a wonderfully light and fruity summer flavor, great on it’s own but especially wonderful incorporated into cocktails. Here it’s been enhanced by the addition of mint for a seriously refreshing summer libation.
Watermelon Mint Margaritas
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, diced into 1 in cubes. Set aside at least 6 1″x1″x5″ sticks of watermelon for garnish.
- 4-5 teaspoon lime and mint simple syrup1
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 cup silver tequila. We used Patron Silver. Only the best at Dinner Series. And, yes, it makes a difference.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients except the tequila and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the tequila. Set aside in fridge to keep cold.
- Rim the glasses with kosher salt2
- Place watermelon sticks and 3-4 cubs of ice in glass before pouring in cocktail.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
Photographs by Nate Brescia.
- To make the lime and mint simple syrup, combine 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small sauce pan and stir over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat, stir in the lime zest and mint, cover and allow to steep until room temperature. Strain into a small bowl, pressing on the mint leaves to extract as much flavor as possible. Set aside. [↩]
- Placing in a shallow bowl that will fit the entire rim of the old fashioned glasses or whiskey glasses like the Schott Zwiesel Pure Whiskey we used and fill it with about 5mm of water. Dip rim. Dip damp rim into plate with shallow layer of salt. Voila! [↩]